Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him…
I. FRIENDSHIP WITH GOD IS PROPOSED AS THE GRAND PRIVILEGE OF THE RACE.
1. The friendship which God offers is on entirely a human plane. Christian life is only a transfiguration of every-day life.
2. The friendship which God proposes is permanent in its continuance.
II. AN UNDOUBTED PROOF OF THE DIVINE SINCERITY.
1. You see this in the fact that the entire proposal comes from Him. The grace of this transaction is absolutely marvellous.
2. You see this in the successive and persistent endeavours to bring this friendship within reach of the soul.
III. THE ASSURANCE OF THE ENTIRE FULNESS OF THE ATONEMENT. There is no restriction in the offers of Divine grace.
1. There is no limit on the human side. If any man will open his heart, the Saviour will come in.
2. There is positively no limit on the Divine side either. The offer is made in terms utterly without restriction.
IV. AN EXPLICIT RECOGNITION OF HUMAN FREE AGENCY UNDER THE PLAN OF SALVATION BY GRACE. It is well to inquire why it is He thus pauses on the threshold.
1. It is not because He is unable to force His way in. There is no opposition so violent that He could not crush it beneath His Omnipotent might.
2. The reason for the Divine forbearance is found in the inscrutable counsels of the Divine wisdom. In the beginning, He drew one line around His own action. He determined to create a class of beings who should have minds and hearts of their own. A free chance to choose between serving Him and resisting Him He now gives to every one of us. And when He had thus established men in being, He sovereignly decided never to interfere with the free-will He had bestowed.
V. IF ANY MAN IS FINALLY LOST, THE RESPONSIBILITY RESTS UPON HIS OWN SOUL. The Saviour has come so far, but it is perfectly clear He is coming no further.
1. Observe how unbeclouded is the final issue. There can be no mystery, there is no mistake about it. The Providence of God always clears the way up to the crisis, removing every side-consideration which can possibly confuse it. Education that fits for usefulness is a demand for usefulness; the love of our children is a hint for us to love God as children; social position, wealth, official station, accomplishments, popular favour; whoever has any of these ought to hear in them the accents of that quiet voice speaking to his heart: "Behold, I stand at the door and knock."
2. Observe the ease of the condition required of us. It is only to open the door. Great things under the gospel are always simple.
3. Observe then, finally, what it is that keeps the Saviour out. Nothing but will. This is the inspired declaration: "Ye will not come unto Me, that ye might have life." That is, you set a definite purpose against the purpose of grace. Christ came and you resisted Him.
(C. S. Robinson, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.