After this there was a feast of the Jews; and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.…
1. The utterly lost, hopeless state of every sinner sitting by the waters of salvation (ver. 5).
2. The offer of help addressed to each man's free will for his personal acceptance (ver. 6).
3. The first phase of conflict that pride is apt to make in blaming others and excusing self (ver. 7).
4. The peremptoriness of the gospel demand: Do something, and God will help (vers. 8, 9).
5. The next phase of conflict which external opposition makes discouraging the soul with mere cavils (ver. 10).
6. The full and honest justification of conduct: The One that healed me told me what to do (ver. 11).
7. The salutary experience of solicitude against old besetting sin (ver. 14).
8. The happy obedience of active confession of Christ before others; say openly and everywhere, "It was Jesus that made me whole!" (ver. 15)
(C. S. Robinson, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: After this there was a feast of the Jews; and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.