And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.
I. GOD'S HOUSE IS ALWAYS WHERE THE LORD'S PRESENCE IS.
1. No forms whatsoever for church organization, or Sunday service, are given in the Bible.
2. Out-of-the-way places, unusual times, and unexpected assemblages of people, have been often chosen for extraordinary manifestations of the Lord's presence.
3. The Head of the Church has given blessings to all Christians alike, of every name, when they have fully kept His covenant.
II. THE LORD'S PRESENCE IN GOD'S HOUSE MAKES IT TO BE THE GATE OF HEAVEN.
1. The figure used. Importance of gates to Eastern cities.
2. The Lord's presence, so near, so splendid, so significant, made Jacob seem to himself to be at the very portal of the celestial city.Practical thoughts:
1. Learn to prize church privileges.
2. Honour the Fourth Commandment.
3. Have done with jargon — sectarian clash and presumption.
4. Do not make the Lord's house the gate of hell. God's mercy never leaves a man where it found him.
(C. S. Robinson, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.