1 Peter 1:3-5
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ…
A little mercy, such as is in man, or some reasonable store, as in angels, would not serve the turn.
1. Was it a small matter that moved God to choose thee to salvation, rather than thousands of others, or was it a small mercy to give us His only Son, to deliver us by suffering all the wrath due to us?
2. Is it a small measure of mercy to call us to the hope of salvation from our wretched estate when we went on in sin, and minded no good, nay, all evil?
3. They that have had their part in this abundant mercy must be stirred up to abundant thanksgiving (Psalm 116:12-14). We must testify our love in zealous obedience all the days of our life, showing forth the virtues of Him that hath called us out of darkness into His marvellous light.
4. It teaches us also to show mercy to one another: in giving, forgiving, and the like.
5. It shows also the miserableness of our estate, that without abundant mercy we can never be saved.
Parallel VersesKJV: Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,