1 Peter 1:17-21
And if you call on the Father, who without respect of persons judges according to every man's work…
spiritual bondage: — The reasons hereof may be these:
1. God hath no need of any of these things, and they are His already (Psalm 24:1; Psalm 50:10).
2. Our soul is an immortal and incorruptible thing, a creature that hath a beginning, but never shall have end.
3. Sin is a transgression against an Infinite God, and so deserveth an infinite punishment.
4. Many times even for a trespass committed against men, these things will not be taken for a recompense.
5. These often, when God sends some bodily judgment, are unable to do men any pleasure, nor can at all pacify God.
6. These cannot redeem a man's bodily life and save it from death, nor can they prolong a man's life an hour beyond his appointed time; much less can they redeem his soul.
7. These cannot purchase wit, learning, eloquence for those that want them, much less sanctification and grace.
Parallel VersesKJV: And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear: