John bore witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spoke, He that comes after me is preferred before me…
I. IT IS CHRIST ALONE WHO SUPPLIES THE SPIRITUAL WANTS OF ALL BELIEVERS (ver. 16).
1. The Spirit of Life is His special gift to the Church, and conveys from Him, as from a great root, sap and vigour to all the believing branches.
2. He is rich in mercy, wisdom, righteousness, holiness.
3. Out of His fulness believers in every age have been supplied.
4. Every saint in glory will acknowledge that he is Christ's debtor for all he is.
II. THE VAST SUPERIORITY OF CHRIST TO MOSES AND THE GOSPEL TO THE LAW (ver. 17).
1. Moses was employed as a servant to convey the moral and ceremonial law which could not justify.
2. Christ as a Son came with the keys of God's treasury of grace and truth (Hebrews 3:6).
(1) Grace bringing salvation through faith.
(2) Truth fulfilling in His own Person the types of the Old Testament.
III. IT IS CHRIST ALONE WHO HAS REVEALED THE FATHER TO MAN (ver. 18).
1. No man could see God and live.
2. Yet all that man is capable of knowing of God the Father is revealed to us by God the Son. In His words, deeds, life, and death we see the wisdom, love, and holiness of God.
IV. How GREAT THE HONOUR OF THE BAPTIST AND CHRISTIAN MINISTERS in heralding such a Being.
Parallel VersesKJV: John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.