After this manner therefore pray you: Our Father which are in heaven, Hallowed be your name.
I. WHAT IS MEANT BY THE NAME OF GOD? God has revealed His name —
1. In creation.
2. In Israel.
3. In His Law.
4. In the sacrifices.
5. In the names of His servants. Elijah means, Jehovah is my strength.
6. In the face of Jesus.
II. HALLLOWED be Thy name. All the works of God glorify His name. The petition implies —
(1) The desire to know God's name;
(2) To treat it as a reality;
(3) To rejoice in it;
(4) To separate it from our corrupt thoughts and desires;
(5) To regard it as inviolable in its unity;
(6) That we be manifestations of God.
(7) This prayer is universal; there is no health for the nation or family but by the knowledge of God's name.
Parallel VersesKJV: After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.