And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said to him, You are not far from the kingdom of God…
The man to whom these words were addressed was a candid inquirer.
I. THE CHARACTERISTICS OF THOSE WHO ARE NOT FAR FROM THE KINGDOM.
1. They may possess considerable knowledge of Scripture.
2. They may make a candid confession of their belief.
3. They may have strong convictions of sin.
4. They may have a desire to amend their lives.
5. They may have partially reformed. They only need repentance and faith.
II. THE REASONS WHY THEY DO NOT ENTER THE KINGDOM.
1. Difficulties in the way.
2. Advantages in a middle course.
3. Belief that they are Christians already.
4. Reluctance to observe the needful conditions.
III. THE INDUCEMENTS TO ENTER.
1. The blessedness of those who do.
2. The misery of those who do not.
(Seeds and Saplings.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question.