Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.…
Here, as everywhere, in keeping God's commandments there is great reward. There is great blessedness that comes from keeping the rest day holy — to the one keeping it so, and to his fellow-men.
I. CONSIDER THE BLESSINGS TO OUR FELLOW-MEN.
1. The holy or religious observance of the day bestows the rest day upon mankind. The unbelieving world may rail against God and His Church, but while it does so it is receiving from Him through the Church the rich gift of the only rest day it has from grinding labour.
2. The religious observance of the day also preaches a powerful though silent sermon to the non-church-goer, telling him he is a man, not a beast of burden; that there is a God whom he should worship; that there is an eternal life beyond this fleeting one for which he should prepare.
3. The religious observance of the day does much also to educate the conscience of a community.
4. The religious observance of the day further secures the continuance and progress of Christianity in the world. The procession of secular days bears rich material gifts to man. The Holy day spreads heaven's glories over the earth.
II. The religious observance of the day brings also rich BLESSING TO THE ONE SO OBSERVING IT.
1. Communion with God, to refresh and strengthen the soul.
2. A clear view of our heavenly home, the eternal holy rest from all this world's toil and care.
(F. S. Schenck.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.