1 Corinthians 15:47-49
The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven.…
I. THE CHARACTERS HERE PLACED IN CONTRAST.
1. The earthy.
2. The heavenly.
II. THE FACT ASSUMED — "that we have all borne," etc.
1. The first man is emphatically styled earthy (ver. 47).
(1) On account of his origin.
(2) Because of his tendency.
(3) Because of his apostasy.
2. But Christ is the heavenly One, because of —
(1) His pre-existence.
(2) The moral beauty and glory displayed by Him while on earth.
3. Therefore it is said that we have borne the image of the earthy.
4. And not only because of this, but also because the first man's moral image has become characteristic of us.
III. THE PROMISE IN REFERENCE TO BELIEVERS. A perfect moral resemblance to Christ will be attained at the last day.
Parallel VersesKJV: The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.