And Jesus answered and spoke to them again by parables, and said,…
I. WHEN OR HOW MEN SLIGHT THE INVITATIONS OF THE GOSPEL.
1. When they neglect the Word of God, which is full of them, and which authoritatively announces them to the world.
2. When they absent themselves from the sanctuary, when they are proclaimed by God's own ambassadors.
3. When they fail to give heed to the Divine message, when it is personally and solemnly addressed to them.
4. When Sabbath after Sabbath they refuse to accept the invitation to come to the feast of love spread for them. No greater slight can be conceived when we consider —
(1) who gives the invitation;
(2) the character and condition of those to whom it is made;
(3) the honour and infinite good involved in the invitation.
II. THE DANGER OF SLIGHTING THESE INVITATIONS.
1. It cannot fail to provoke the anger of God. "The king was wrath."
2. It inevitably forfeits all the blessings of Christ's meditation and sacrifice.
3. It shuts the door of mercy against the sinner.
(J. M. Sherwood, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said,