He that believes on the Son has everlasting life: and he that believes not the Son shall not see life…
— The wrath of man is fearful to view, and especially to feel. But the wrath of God — no pen can describe it, or imagination conceive it. What will the realization of it be? And this wrath impends over every impenitent sinner.
I. It is SURE TO FALL UPON HIM IN DUE TIME.
1. It is not a simple possibility.
2. Not a threat to terrify.
3. It is as sure as God Almighty's throne.
(1) Eternal and Omnipotent Justice has decreed it.
(2) Revelation declares it on almost every page.
(3) The providence of God illustrates and confirms His Word.
II. It is sure in due time TO FALL UPON THE SINNER IN ALL THE TERRIBLENESS OF ITS POWER AND SEVERITY.
1. Here mercy tempers justice. Wrath is restrained and grace works.
2. This is the world of probation, not of final award.
3. The day of reckoning is appointed after death.
III. THIS WRATH IS JUSTLY DESERVED.
1. It might have been turned aside.
2. Voluntary sin and the persistent refusal of mercy and grace provoke it.
(J. M. Sherwood, D. D.).
Parallel VersesKJV: He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.