Now after the death of Moses the servant of the LORD it came to pass, that the LORD spoke to Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' minister…
I. IT IS OF THE UTMOST IMPORTANCE THAT EVERY MAN SHOULD HAVE A SURE GUIDE FOR THE DIRECTION OF HIS STEPS.
1. If you consider the character and condition of man, the truth before us must claim universal acknowledgment. Man is the creature of God. His being, powers, and blessings are all derived from his Maker. He is therefore bound to please Him in all his ways and works. But how is this to be done? By what measure, so to speak, or after what manner, is this love to be expressed, and this obedience to be rendered?
2. If you consider man not only as the mere creature of God, but as a creature endued with an immortal soul, the truth before us will be still more apparent.
3. If you consider man as a sinner before God, exposed to all the dreadful consequences of his rebellion, and utterly without ability to help himself, the truth of this position must still more strikingly appear.
4. If you consider man as exposed to all the vicissitudes of this life — as subject to sorrow, suffering, and pain, as liable to sickness, affliction, and all the other evils incident to our present existence — the truth of this position must claim the approbation of all.
5. If you consider man in reference to death, judgment, and eternity, no voice can ever be lifted up in opposition to this truth.
II. WHERE IS THIS SURE GUIDE TO BE MET WITH?
1. Is man capable of furnishing himself with such a rule? Evidently not; and that not merely as the negative applies to him as he now is, but even supposing him to be what he once was.
2. Consider the greatness and importance of the matters at stake, and it must be confessed that it would not be safe to trust in any provision coming from such a human source, even supposing it possible that it could be provided.
3. A provision of this kind, coming from any human source, would fall below the circumstances and condition in which we are placed, and therefore could never meet the exigencies of our case, nor, consequently, answer the end proposed.
4. The law, or revealed will of God, is the only safe rule for all individual guidance, as well as the only legitimate foundation for all national law. No man's ways or works can be acceptable in the sight of God who throws aside that rule and walks by the light of his own fire.
III. THE BENEFIT AND ADVANTAGES OF FOLLOWING THAT RULE AND ABIDING THEREBY.
1. We shall have a sure guide for the direction of our steps.
2. We shall find everything plain before us.
3. We shall avoid the grievous mistakes and blunders into which others have fallen.
4. We shall find abundant provision for every emergency.
5. We shall be safe and prosperous here, and happy and blessed hereafter.Conclusion:
1. What an invaluable deposit are the sacred Scriptures as committed to any nation or people!
2. How widely have we departed from these sacred rules!
3. How needful it is that we should make these Holy Scriptures our constant study and daily counsellors!
Parallel VersesKJV: Now after the death of Moses the servant of the LORD it came to pass, that the LORD spake unto Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' minister, saying,