My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you…
Ignorance disqualifies a man for those situations in life that require the exercise of wisdom and discretion: it degrades him in society below the rank of those who would otherwise be deemed his equals or inferiors; and it not infrequently leads to idleness, dissipation, and vice. Ignorance of religion ensures the everlasting destruction of the soul.
I. THE IGNORANCE OF THE CHRISTIAN WORLD.
1. An ignorance of themselves. They know little of their blindness, guilt, depravity, helplessness.
2. Ignorance of God. His holiness, justice, truth.
3. Ignorance of Christ. As He is in Himself. As He is to us.
II. THE FATAL CONSEQUENCES OF IT. The degrees of criminality attached to ignorance vary according to the opportunities men have enjoyed of obtaining knowledge. A lack of spiritual knowledge —
1. Tends to destruction.
2. Will issue in destruction.Then —
(1) How carefully should we improve the means of grace!
(2) How earnestly should we pray for the teachings of God's Spirit!
(3) How thankful should we be for any measure of Divine knowledge!
(C. Simeon, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
WEB: My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God's law, I will also forget your children.