1 Chronicles 12:32
And of the children of Issachar, which were men that had understanding of the times, to know what Israel ought to do…
From the character given of the men of Issachar we shall show —
I. THAT OUR CONDUCT MUST OFTEN RE AFFECTED BY TIMES AND CIRCUMSTANCES OF WHATEVER NATURE.
II. HOW FAR IT MAY BE PROPERLY AFFECTED BY THEM IN THE CONCERNS OF RELIGION.
1. That we may attend to times, etc., is certain (example of Christ and apostles).
2. But how far is not easy to determine.
III. WHAT THERE IS IN THE TIMES, etc., OF THE PRESENT DAY TO AFFECT OUR CONDUCT. Application:
1. Guard against yielding to any corrupt bias.
2. The future judgment will be according to motives.
3. Seek for wisdom that is profitable to direct.
(C. Simeon, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And of the children of Issachar, which were men that had understanding of the times, to know what Israel ought to do; the heads of them were two hundred; and all their brethren were at their commandment.