And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you…
I. THE SACRIFICE. A token of —
3. Good resolve. Dedication of himself and family to God's service.
II. THE COVENANT.
1. A renewal of the primal blessing.
2. Animal food permitted to be used, with a particular restriction.
3. A strict law is given against murder, implying that men are responsible both to God and to their fellow men, for any violence done.
4. A promise is given by God, that there shall be no more a flood to destroy the earth.
III. THE TOKEN OF THE COVENANT. The rainbow: the light of sunshine on a departing storm. A cheering, gladdening sight. Fit symbol of mercy, and of hope. LEARN:
1. From the sacrifice, self-consecration to God our Saviour.
2. From the covenant, obedience to God, and love to our fellow men.
3. From the beautiful token of God's faithfulness, an undying hope in His mercy which endureth forever.
(W. S. Smith, B. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: