1 Corinthians 15:47-49
The first man is of the earth, earthy; the second man is the Lord from heaven.…
I. CONFIRM THE LAMENTABLE FACT THAT, BY NATURE, WE ALL BEAR THE IMAGE OF THE EARTHLY. So says my text; so says my experience, the melancholy experience of all ages and nations; so witness our own feelings in the endurance of those ills to which mortality is subject. Behold it —
1. In our bodies, which are earthly, frail, and tending to dissolution. What is that in the cold corpse which shocks the feelings of humanity, and harrows up the soul? It is the image of the earthly Adam! And ere long you shall bear it too.
2. We all bear this image in our souls.
(1) Our souls are defiled with sin.
(2) Our souls are exposed to Divine wrath, and thus bear the image of the earthly.
II. REJOICE IN THE GLORIOUS TRUTH THAT, AS BELIEVERS, WE SHALL ALSO BEAR THE IMAGE OF THE LORD FROM HEAVEN.
1. It is first impressed upon us at the time of our regeneration. Effectual grace then gives a new bias to the mind, and the Father of the spirits of all flesh then makes us new creatures in Christ Jesus. The Saviour imparted to us the principle of grace; He made us, who before lived only for folly and sin, to pant after holiness as our noblest pursuit; to grasp after purity as our noblest attainment.
2. This image shall visibly discover itself through the whole course of the Christian's life, producing a happy effect upon his temper, his passions, his pursuits; it shall make him to speak, to look, to live, like the children of God.
3. This image shall be rendered more striking and glorious on the resurrection morning.
Parallel VersesKJV: The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.