When therefore the LORD knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,…
Many things remind us of our Lord: a well, a weary peasant resting at noon. How truly human was Jesus!
1. How worn was His humanity. He was more weary than His disciples.
(1) He had a greater mental strain than they.
(2) He had a weariness they knew not of.
2. His self-denials even then were remarkable.
(1) He would in all points be made like unto His brethren.
(2) He would not exempt Himself from fatigue.
(3) He would not work a miracle for His own refreshment.
(4) He would not refuse to bear heat, thirst, exhaustion.
3. He has thus made Himself able to sympathize with —
(1) The traveller who rests by the road-side.
(2) The labourer worn out with toil.
(3) The sufferer who feels pain.
(4) The poor man who must rest on a cold stone, and look for refreshment to the public fountain.
(5) The weary mind.
I. LET YOUR CONSCIENCE DRAW A SPIRITUAL PICTURE OF YOUR WEARIED SAVIOUR. He is wearied with our —
1. Sins (Isaiah 43:24).
2. Formal worship (Isaiah 1:14).
3. Errings through unbelief (Psalm 95:10).
4. Resistance of His Spirit (Isaiah 63:10).
5. Cavillings and rebellions (Malachi 2:17).Perhaps we have specially wearied the Lord, as we read in Amos 2:13, where singular provocations are mentioned. That is a grave question asked by the prophet Isaiah (vii. 13).
II. LET YOUR CONSCIENCE DRAW A SPIRITUAL PICTURE OF YOUR WAITING SAVIOUR. He waits —
1. For comers to the well: He seizes on all occasions to bless, such as affliction, the hearing of the Word, the recurrence of a birthday, or even the simplest event of life. Men have other errands; they come to the well only to draw water, but the Lord meets them with His greater errand.
2. For the most sinful: she that had five husbands.
3. To enlighten, convince, convert.
4. To accept and to commission.
5. To begin by one convert the ingathering of a great harvest. How long He has waited for some of you! At how many points has He been on the outlook for you? Is He not waiting for you at this very hour? Will you not yield to His patient love?
III. LET YOUR PENITENCE DRAW ANOTHER PICTURE. Alter the position of the character.
1. Be yourself weary of your sinful way.
2. Sit down on the well of your Lord's gracious ordinances.
3. Wait and watch till your Saviour conies.
4. Ask Him to give you to drink, and, in so doing, give Him to drink, for this is His best refreshment.
5. Drink yourselves of the living water and then run to tell others.Conclusion: Will you not do this at once? May His Holy Spirit so direct you!
(C. H. Spurgeon,)
Parallel VersesKJV: When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,