And the seven years of plenty, that was in the land of Egypt, were ended.…
I. JOSEPH OPENED THE STOREHOUSES BY ROYAL AUTHORITY.
1. The king was only to be approached through Joseph (ver. 55). So with Jesus (John 14:6).
2. The king commanded that Joseph should be obeyed (ver. 55; see John 5:23).
3. In all the land no other could open a storehouse save Joseph (see John 3:35).
II. JOSEPH WAS A FIT PERSON TO BE THUS AUTHORIZED TO OPEN THE STOREHOUSES,
1. He planned the storehouses, and was justly appointed to control them (vers. 33-36, 38).
2. He carried out the storage, and so proved himself practical as well as inventive (ver. 49).
3. He did it on a noble scale (ver. 49).
4. He had wisdom to distribute well (see Colossians 1:9; John 1:16).
III. JOSEPH ACTUALLY OPENED THE STOREHOUSES.
1. For this purpose he filled them. Grace is meant to be used.
2. To have kept them closed would have been no gain to him.
3. He opened them at a fit time (vers. 55, 56).
4. He kept them open while the famine lasted.
IV. JOSEPH OPENED THE STOREHOUSE TO ALL COMERS. Yet Joseph did but sell, while Jesus gives without money.
V. JOSEPH ACQUIRED POSSESSION OF ALL EGYPT FOR THE KING. Full submission and consecration are the grand result of infinite love.
( C. H. Spurgeon.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the seven years of plenteousness, that was in the land of Egypt, were ended.