But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:
I. WHAT IT IS THAT THE SINNERS MAKE LIGHT OF.
1. Of the messenger who brings them the news that the marriage supper is prepared.
2. These people despise the feast.
3. They make light of the King's Son.
4. They make light also of the King.
5. Thou art making light of the great solemnities of eternity.
II. How IS IT THAT MEN MAKE LIGHT OF IT?
1. When men go to hear and yet do not attend.
2. When they attend to something else with it.
3. Who makes a profession of religion, but does not live up to it.
III. WHY THEY MAKE LIGHT OF IT.
1. Because ignorant.
2. Because of pride.
3. Because they did not believe the messenger.
4. Because they were so worldly.
5. Because altogether thoughtless.
6. Out of sheer presumption.
7. Because of the commonness of the gospel.
(C. H. Spurgeon.)
Parallel VersesKJV: But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise: