And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said to him, You are not far from the kingdom of God…
I. WHAT ARE ITS MARKS?
1. Truthfulness of spirit.
2. Spiritual perception.
3. Acquaintance with the law.
5. A sense of need of Christ.
6. A horror of wrongdoing.
7. A high regard for holy things.
8. Diligent attention to the means of grace.
II. WHAT ARE ITS DANGERS? There is danger —
1. Lest you slip back from this hopefulness.
2. Lest you rest content to stop where you are.
3. Lest you grow proud and self-righteous.
4. Lest instead of candid you become indifferent.
5. Lest you die ere the decisive step is taken.
III. WHAT ARE ITS DUTIES?
1. Thank God for dealing so mercifully with you.
2. Admit with deep sincerity that you need supernatural help for entrance into the kingdom.
3. Tremble lest the decisive step be never taken.
4. Decide at once, through Divine grace.
(C. H. Spurgeon.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question.