Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD has not done it?
I. GOD EXERCISES A CONSTANT AND MINUTE SUPERINTENDENCE OVER MEN. Objections —
1. The magnitude of the universe.
2. The dignity of the Divine Governor.
3. The extreme regularity of every process.
II. GOD PUNISHES NATIONS AS SUCH.
1. Nations are morally responsible as such.
2. They are capable of joint operations, as —
(1) In flaming laws;
(2) In the administration of laws;
(3) In their public institutions;
(4) In their procedure towards others;
(5) In their general manners.
3. Sacred history teaches national responsibility. Sodom, Egypt, Canaanites, Nineveh, Babylon, Jewish history, Israel's dispersion.
4. Nations can be dealt with only in time.
III. WITH WHAT FEELINGS GOD'S DEALINGS WITH NATIONS SHOULD BE REGARDED.
(1) Forsaking ordinances.
(2) Violating the Sabbath.
2. Repentance. Including —
Parallel VersesKJV: Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?