He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathers not with me scatters abroad.
I. WHO ARE ALLIED WITH CHRIST?
1. They who are delivered from the power of Satan.
2. They who are in co-operation with Christ.
II. ALL NOT THUS WITH CHRIST ARE OF NECESSITY AGAINST HIM.
1. That man's natural state is one of antagonism to God.
2. That it is a necessity of man's nature to influence for good or evil all with whom He may associate.
3. That our allegiance is Christ's righteous and inalienable due.
(H. C. H.)
I. The human heart cannot be in a state in which neither Christ nor the world has the supremacy. Man must have a master and a God, etc.
II. Neither Christ nor His enemy will accept of, or allow of, neutrality — serving both in turn, and hence warring against both in turn.
III. Neutrality is impossible, inasmuch as Christ holds it to be war against Himself. Christ requires the whole heart, life, etc.
IV. Neutrality is seen to be practical hostility to the kingdom of Christ — enemies of Christ.
Parallel VersesKJV: He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.