But to you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and you shall go forth…
A parallel is drawn between Jesus Christ and the natural sun.
1. Before the rising of the natural sun there is darkness; until Jesus Christ arise or is apprehended there is darkness — moral and spiritual darkness. Look to the world before the coming of Christ: the heathen; the multitudes around us; any one of the unconverted; the place of outer darkness.
2. Jesus Christ, as the natural sun does, arose gradually.
(1) He arose in the Scriptures, through the prophecies and promises, the types and sacrifices, until, in the development of God's providence, He appeared above the horizon.
(2) He arose, in His own personal history, in the completion of His work, in His resurrection, in His ascension, in the gift of the Holy Spirit.
(3) He rises in the souls of His people, on earth, in heaven, for ever.
3. Jesus Christ, like the natural sun, reveals or is the source of light.
(1) He reveals God, perfections, purposes, past, future, creation, providence.
(2) He reveals man, law, way of salvation, Gospel.
(3) All time; eternity; the invisible worlds, and the paths to them.
4. Jesus Christ, like the natural sun, is the centre of a system. Of the material universe; and the moral and spiritual universe. Centre and sum of revealed truth of the Church.
5. Jesus Christ, like the natural sun, has His image reflected, both in the material and in the moral universe.
6. Is the source of enjoyment. He has all blessing; and admits to His own joy.
7. Is often concealed by clouds.
(1) By a cloud of guilt on the conscience.
(2) By a cloud of corruptions.
(3) By a cloud of misrepresentations.
8. He dispenses His influence freely. "Without money and without price."
9. He hastens the process of decay and corruption. "A stone of stumbling and a rock of offence."
Parallel VersesKJV: But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.