But I will sacrifice to you with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.
This text announces, in general terms, a truth encroached upon by almost all systems of false doctrine, and repugnant to the natural heart.
I. SALVATION IS WHOLLY OF GOD IN ITS ORIGIN WITH THE FATHER.
1. In the will and decree of the Father (see Ephesians 1:4).
2. The Father's purpose and decree can be referred to nothing but His sovereign pleasure (see Ephesians 1:11).
3. He was under no obligation to save man.
4. In order to receive salvation we must take the position in which it contemplates us. Condemned, as guilty. Hateful, through sin. The enemies of God, against whom sin is. Powerless to atone or obey.
5. We must further acknowledge God's absolute sovereignty in electing to salvation, and providing a Saviour, and in now saving us.
II. SALVATION IS WHOLLY OF GOD IN ITS EXECUTION BY CHRIST.
1. Had man been equal to his own salvation, then had Christ not come (Galatians 3:21).
2. Christ had to meet human opposition. Man opposed his own salvation, according to God's plan, as soon as practicable.
III. SALVATION IS WHOLLY OF GOD IN ITS APPLICATION BY THE SPIRIT. Man is dependent on the Spirit for having the truth presented; for being able to understand the truth; for rendering him willing; for faith to receive and rest on Christ; for regeneration; for sanctification; for perseverance unto the end of life in Divine grace. Learn to pray for and rely on the Spirit.
Parallel VersesKJV: But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.