1 Peter 1:13-16
Why gird up the loins of your mind, be sober…
I. THE GRAND OBJECT REFERRED TO. "The revelation of Jesus Christ."
II. THE BLESSINGS WHICH RESULT TO BELIEVERS IN CONSEQUENCE OF THIS REVELATION.
1. By means of this revelation the kindness of God our Saviour to man is made known.
2. This revelation brings heaven to the view of believers, and assures them that they shall inherit that glory which is yet to be revealed.
3. This revelation teaches those who in consequence of receiving it have truly believed on the Son of God, that when He shall come again it will be to con summate their salvation.
III. THE ENTIRE CONFIDENCE AND JOYOUS ANTICIPATION, WHICH IT BECOMES BELIEVERS CONSEQUENTLY TO INDULGE.
1. It is very important to Christians that they should indulge hope — that they should "perfectly hope." "We are saved by hope."
2. A firm foundation is laid for the exercise of perfect hope in the promises of God, ratified by the blood of the everlasting covenant, and confirmed by solemn oaths.
Parallel VersesKJV: Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;