And he said also to his disciples, There was a certain rich man, which had a steward…
I. MEN ARE STEWARDS.
1. In regard to their talents.
(3) Physical, mental, and moral abilities.
2. In regard to their privileges. Each privilege is a sacred talent, to be utilized for personal, spiritual end. Golden in character. Uncertain in continuance.
3. In regard to their opportunities. Men are responsible not only for what they do, but also for what they are capable of doing.
II. MEN ARE STEWARDS ONLY. Whatever we have, we have received, hold in trust, and must account for to God.
III. THE RECKONING DAY IS COMING.
1. The day of reckoning is certain.
2. Uncertain as to the time.
3. Divine in its procedure. God Himself will make the final award.
4. Solemn in its character.
5. Eternal in its issues.Learn —
1. That moral responsibility is a solemn thing.
2. It is imposed upon us without our own consent.
3. That we cannot avert the day of reckoning.
4. That upon the proper use of our talents shall we reap the reward of life and blessedness.
5. That unfaithfulness to our solemn responsibilities will entail eternal disgrace and everlasting reprobation.
Parallel VersesKJV: And he said also unto his disciples, There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods.