But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than that which we have preached to you, let him be accursed.…
King James II. sat for his portrait to Verelst, the great flower painter. So completely was the canvas filled with elegant garlands of flowers, that the king himself was quite hidden out of sight. May we not in preaching and teaching attract so much attention to human wisdom, words and flowers, that Christ shall take quite an unimportant part in our instruction? And what is that but bringing in a different gospel, which yet is not another? The true gospel: —
I. THE TRUE GOSPEL EXISTS. Paul got his assurance of this —
1. By the manner in which it came to him.
(1) Not by intuition, learning, or traditions,
(2) but by direct revelation from heaven (Acts 26:14-27).
2. By its revolutionary influence over him.
II. THE TRUE GOSPEL IS PERVERTIBLE. It was perverted.
1. In apostolic times (see almost all the Epistles), which exposes the folly of going to antiquity for a standard in theology or morals.
2. In modern times, by rationalism, sectarianism, and intolerance.
III. THE PERVERSION OF THE TRUE GOSPEL IS A TREMENDOUS EVIL; greater than the anathema of angels or apostles. Why? Because —
1. It misrepresents the Divine character.
2. Neutralizes the Divine power to save.Conclusion:
1. A lesson to preachers. How great their responsibility.
2. A lesson to hearers. "Take heed how ye hear."
Parallel VersesKJV: But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.