My son, attend to my words; incline your ear to my sayings.…
"The words of wisdom" are the vehicles of those Divine principles the reception and embodiment of which by man are essential to his well-being.
I. THE METHOD OF GAINING THEM.
1. There must be the attentive ear.
2. There must be the steadfast look.
3. There must be the enshrining heart.
II. THE BLESSEDNESS OF HAVING THEM.
1. They are life to those who find them; they are the soul-quickening elements.
2. They are health.Life without health is scarcely worth living. These principles not only give life to the soul, but they also supply the nutriment and stimulate the activities that ensure health — health of all kinds.
(D. Thomas, D.D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings.