And the glory of the God of Israel was gone up from the cherub, whereupon he was, to the threshold of the house…
I. THE CHIEF DISTINCTION BETWEEN MEN IS MORAL. Upon what principle were these two divisions (vers. 4, 5) made?
1. Not unreasoning caprice.
2. Not any material characteristics.
3. Not any mental qualities.
4. Simply the moral character.The "great gulf fixed" is the spiritual difference between the impenitent and the devout, the selfish and the loving, the Christly and the Christless.
II. THE RESULTS OF THIS DISTINCTION ARE TREMENDOUS. To be on the wrong side of this dividing line meant to be doomed to the six slayers, and means ever destruction. Lust is a fare, love of money is a cancer, intemperance is a flood, self-love is a petrifaction; and these are ever burning or eating out or drowning or hardening the manhood of sinners. And there is, moreover, "the second death." Goodness is safety now, and forever.
III. THE DIVINE SUPERINTENDENCE OF HUMAN DESTINY IS PERFECT. Every detail of this judgment was given by God. Through Him the angel knew whom to seal, and the others knew whom to slay. So is it ever; the arrangements for man's retributive future are securely safe, because —
1. The moral character and condition now are conspicuous. The seal is on the forehead.
2. The arrangement is Divine. There can be no mistake or injustice.
(Urijah R. Thomas.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the glory of the God of Israel was gone up from the cherub, whereupon he was, to the threshold of the house. And he called to the man clothed with linen, which had the writer's inkhorn by his side;