1 Corinthians 3:16-23
Know you not that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?…
I. THE FACT. "Ye are the temple," &c. In three ways —
1. By building. No one is by nature a temple. The Holy Ghost quarries the stones, shapes the pillars, constructs the edifice.
2. By furnishing. He supplies the good thoughts, good motives, good principles, which actuate the Christian's life.
3. By inhabiting. The Spirit does not build a house for the devil's home. It is for Himself.
II. THE INFERENCES. It is implied that there should be, if we wish the Spirit to continue —
1. Fitness. The house must be kept in such a condition as is suitable for His presence.
2. Supremacy. God cannot share the kingdom.
3. Unanimity. How can two dwell together, except they be agreed?
(D. Thomas, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?