1 Thessalonians 5:6
Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.
Pursuing their journey, they come to the enchanted ground.
I. HOPEFUL KEPT AWAKE BY GOODLY COUNSEL AND DISCOURSE.
1. He gives an account of his life before conversion.
2. He gives four reasons why he resisted the light.
3. Eight circumstances that revived his conviction.
4. He vainly tried to ease himself by a moral reformation.
5. The way of salvation.
6. He persisted in prayer until the answer came, and Christ was revealed to him.
7. Believing and coming to Christ explained.
II. IGNORANCE COMES UP AGAIN.
1. Ignorance explains the ground of his hope.
2. Christian explains what good thoughts are.
3. Christian gives answer to Ignorance's confession of faith.
4. Ignorance speaks reproachfully about things he knows not.
5. He again falls behind.
III. CHRISTIAN AND HOPEFUL RENEW THEIR CONVERSATION.
1. Reflections over the conduct of Ignorance.
2. The proper use of fear.
3. Why ignorant persons stifle conviction.
4. Talk about one called Temporary.
5. Four reasons why some backslide.
6. How they backslide.
IV. SOME LESSONS ON THIS STAGE.
1. In times of danger it is wise to recall former experiences.
2. Human philosophy may seem very wise, but the Bible is an unfailing touchstone.
(L. O. Thompson.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.