And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said to him, You are not far from the kingdom of God…
I. Are there not many bearing the Christian name who, though not far from the kingdom of God, HAVE NEVER YET PASSED THE BOUNDARY WHICH SEPARATES THEM FROM THE WORLD
1. In this state there are those who have correct views of doctrinal truth without a spirit of devotion.
2. They are not far from the kingdom, but do not belong to that kingdom, who are the subjects of frequent and powerful convictions, yet have never been converted to God.
3. They are not far from the kingdom, but do not belong to it, who cultivate amiable tempers and agreeable manners, and yet are strangers to the influence and grace of the Divine Spirit.
II. ARE THERE NOT SOME REASONS TO BE ASSIGNED AS CAUSES WHY MAY OF YOU CONTINUE SO LONG GO HOVER ROUND THE BORDERS OF THE KINGDOM OF GOD, YET NEVER ENTER IT? Your conduct carries in it a multitude of strange inconsistencies.
1. Your hovering still round the outer borders of the kingdom of God must be ascribed to a want of firm decision of mind.
2. It must be ascribed to a want of warm and loyal attachment to the blessed Immanuel, the Prince of life.
3. It must be ascribed to a want of true faith and humility.
III. While you continue without the boundary of the kingdom of God, at whatever point of nearness, is not your state A STATE OF AWFUL DANCER? You are more liable to self-deception than vile profligates; you are commanded; you are in danger of attaching too much consequence to the soundness of your creed and strictness of your morals. Do not expect to glide into the kingdom without effort or hindrance.
1. You must press into the kingdom by casting off every incumbrance, and by forsaking every prejudice and passion which has a tendency to entangle and obstruct your progress.
2. You must press into the kingdom through all possible resistance.
Parallel VersesKJV: And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question.