Your kingdom come, Your will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
The same principle which renders an angel a willing servant in glory would make him a willing servant in this wicked state. He who gets his copy most into his eye, and takes it into his mind, will draw the straightest lines. In material things it is the glory of heaven, where God looks He sees Himself. The crystal sea, sheets of gold, gates of pearl, are made to reflect the glory that shines upon them. As we pass from the material to the intelligent inhabitants, the pattern becomes higher.
1. When we look upon ourselves, what a very disobedient thing obedience is. How men struggle to obey, and often to escape obedience. But turn to the angels.
1. Mark the entire submission of their intellect.
2. The absorption of their will.
3. The pliability with which they adapt themselves exactly to God's varying purposes.
4. Or pass from the act to the spirit — "They are beholding the Father's face."
5. God's will must be done in the way God wills it.
(J. Vaughan, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.