For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men,…
I. THE CONSECRATING SAVIOUR.
1. He gave Himself (John 10:18).
2. He gave Himself a ransom.
3. The object of this was to purify men; to save from sin.Note the distinction between being saved from the penalties of sin, and from sin itself.
II. THE CONSECRATED PEOPLE.
1. Freed from the power of sin.
2. Brought under the Divine rule. "From all iniquity;" literally, "from all lawlessness."
3. Specially devoted to good; "peculiar,"
4. Ardent; "zealous."
5. Diligent, devoted to "good works."
(F. Wagstaff.)Purify unto Himself a peculiar people —
Parallel VersesKJV: For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,