And Moses went out to meet his father in law, and did obeisance, and kissed him; and they asked each other of their welfare…
I. AS TO THE SALUTATIONS AT MEETING.
1. Courteousness. This excludes —
(1) Excessive familiarity;
2. A hearty welcome.
II. AS TO THE SUBJECTS OF CONVERSATION.
1. On public affairs.
2. On social matters.
3. With recognition of God.
4. Fit for mutual response (vers. 10, 11).
III. AS TO THE MODE OF FESTIVITY.
1. That such festivity may not be confined to the family.
2. That it may be preceded by an act of worship.
3. That it should be with consciousness of the Divine presence.To eat as before God, will make us —
(1) Happy and helpful;
(3) Regardful of the soul s progress.
(D. G. Watt, M. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Moses went out to meet his father in law, and did obeisance, and kissed him; and they asked each other of their welfare; and they came into the tent.