For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
I. A COMPARISON.
1. Both men.
2. Both messengers from God.
3. Both bearers of a revelation.
II. A CONTRAST.
1. Moses only man; Christ the Son of God.
2. Moses raised up by God; Christ sent forth from God.
3. Moses the bearer of a revelation outside of himself; Christ the bringer of a revelation in Himself.
4. Moses a lawgiver; Christ a declarer of grace and truth.
(T. Whitelaw, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.