But be you doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.…
I. THE IMPORTANCE OF HEARING THE WORD.
1. The Word tells us whence we are.
2. The Word tells us what we are.
3. The Word tells us how to get rid of sin.
4. The Word helps us to form character for heaven.
II. THE GREATER IMPORTANCE OF DOING THE WORD.
1. Hearing is but the preliminary of doing.
2. Hearing can never shake off the load of sin; while doing lays the burden upon Christ.
3. In the all-important work of cultivating character, mere hearing hardens and distorts; while doing the will of God is the way to become like Him.
4. Doing the will of God is the only adequate test of love, which is the essence both of religion and salvation.
(J. T. Whitley.)
Parallel VersesKJV: But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.