1 Chronicles 13:14
And the ark of God remained with the family of Obededom in his house three months. And the LORD blessed the house of Obededom…
I. WHAT WAS THIS ARK OF GOD?
1. It was a sign of the covenant God had made with His people.
2. It was a record of God's dealings with them under all their rebellions.
3. It was an instrument of communion between Him and them.
II. HOW WAS THIS ARK TO BE TREATED, AND WHAT WAS THE CONSEQUNCE OF ITS PRESENCE?
1. See what it was amongst the heathen (1 Samuel 5:4, 11).
2. See what it was amongst God's own people, when they made themselves like unto the Gentiles and learned their works (1 Samuel 6:19; 1 Samuel 7:8). In the sight of these judgments we may plainly see that the mere having among them the appointed sign and instrument of God's presence was no blessing, but the having it for a lawful use, and the treating it after a godly manner. God's ark was a blessing where it was duly prized; its presence was a blessing or a curse according to the character of those it visited.
III. THOSE CHURCHES WHICH ADORN OUR LAND ARE THE SIGNS OF GOD'S PRESENCE, AS THE ARK WAS OF OLD. WHAT BLESSES ANY DISTRICT AS THUS BRINGING HOME TO IT THE PRESENCE OF GOD? What is the effect on ungodly and irreverent men of seeing and attending churches? It brings down on them God's heavy judgments.
(Bishop Samuel Wilberforce.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And the ark of God remained with the family of Obededom in his house three months. And the LORD blessed the house of Obededom, and all that he had.