And it came to pass on the eighth day, that Moses called Aaron and his sons, and the elders of Israel;…
1. One occasion was when in the confusion of things they had need of some unwonted confirmation; as when Gideon was appointed to be the deliverer of the people this figure was given him in that confused state to confirm him in his calling (Judges 6:21).
2. Another reason was when God's worship was to be maintained against idolatry and false worship; as when Elijah contended with Baal's priests the like miracle was shown (1 Kings 18:38).
3. And further when the Lord was pleased to give assurance of His favour and reconciliation after some sin committed; as when David had numbered the people, and the Lord being therewith offended had sent a great plague, He showed his acceptance of David's sacrifice by answering him by fire from heaven (1 Chronicles 21:26).
4. By the sending also of fire the Lord gave assurance of His perpetual presence and assistance; as at the dedication of Solomon's Temple. Thereby He testified that the mount of Sion pleased Him.
5. And hereby also the Lord gave approbation of His own ordinance, as here He doth demonstrate Himself to be the Author of the legal priesthood.
(A. Willet, D. D.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And it came to pass on the eighth day, that Moses called Aaron and his sons, and the elders of Israel;