But I will sacrifice to you with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.
In his words we have a particular favour acknowledged. Jonah evidently had an eye to the wonderful and extraordinary deliverance that God had wrought for him; and indeed the hand of God did so eminently appear in it, that it could not be ascribed to any other. And there is a general truth asserted, "Salvation is of the Lent." This is certainly true in the most extensive sense. Whether the salvation be of a temporal or spiritual nature, it is of the Lord.
I. WHAT SALVATION IS OF THE LORD.
1. The salvation of the soul, salvation from sin, and from all that misery which is consequential to it There is a salvation by purchase and a salvation by power, and both are of the Lord.
2. Temporal salvation is of the Lord. God Wrought a temporal as well as a spiritual deliverance for Jonah, and to Him Jonah ascribes the praise of both.
II. IN WHAT RESPECTS SALVATION IS OF THE LORD.
1. In what respects spiritual salvation is of the Lord.
(1) In respect of contrivance.
(2) In respect of purchase.
(3) In respect of the revelation, exhibition, and offer of it.
(4) In respect of the application of it.
(5) In respect of the progress of it.
(6) In respect of the consummation of it.
2. Temporal salvation, or deliverance from outward troubles and afflictions, is of the Lord, as it is He alone who works it; and whatever the distress is, He is able to work it.Learn —
1. Believers in the most afflicted condition have no reason to be cast down, as if their case were altogether hopeless.
2. Sinners, however guilty and wretched, have no reason to despair of salvation.
3. Believers are wholly indebted to the grace of God for their salvation, for every spiritual and every temporal deliverance wrought for them.
4. That when any deliverance wrought for persons has been wrought for them in mercy, they will eye and acknowledge the hand of God in it.
Parallel VersesKJV: But I will sacrifice unto thee with the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay that that I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD.