You shall not commit adultery.
I. THE LAW OF CHASTITY IS THAT WHICH REGULATES THE INTERCOURSE OF THE SEXES, whether in wedlock or other relations.
1. Marriage is the union of one man with one woman until death do them part.
(1) A mutual compact.
(2) A civil contract.
(3) A vital and spiritual union.
(4) A Divine institution.
2. The sacredness of the marriage contract as between one man and one woman was among the first things to be sullied by the fall, and through the lingering progress of many centuries has but slowly recovered.
II. THE ESSENTIAL PRINCIPLE OF THIS LAW OF CHASTITY.
1. The man and the woman are the two halves of God's image. Not the masculine qualities alone, but also the feminine; not man's strength alone and vigour, but also woman's beauty and gentleness, are reflections of what, in the archetype, is found in God alone.
2. In this principle that the sexes are complemental to each other, together making one reflection of the image of God, we must learn that as a rule marriage is the appointed instrument for our highest moral development. When souls are wedded, when husband and wife alike are baptized into the Divine secret of utter self-abnegation, so that every drudgery is glorified, and every sacrifice made sweet, earth has no fairer picture of celestial joys.
III. THE LEADING VIOLATIONS OF THE LAW OF CHASTITY.
(W. J. Woods, B. A.)
Parallel VersesKJV: Thou shalt not commit adultery.