But the LORD abides forever; He has established His throne for judgment.
is, viz. righteous, and a Helper of the oppressed.
I. GOD'S RULE IS A CONTINUAL EXERCISE OF JUDGMENT. (Vers. 7-9.)
1. This seals the doom of the unrighteous. It will destroy them and their works (vers. 5, 6).
2. This secures the safety and the triumph of the righteous. Ultimately and really, if not immediately and in appearance.
3. This is a comfort and a refuge for those who suffer from injustice and oppression. (Ver. 9.) God is a strong Tower, into which they may run and find shelter from their troubles.
II. THE GROUNDS OF FAITH IN GOD.
1. When we know how to name him. (Ver. 10.) Jacob wanted to know the name of the Being who wrestled with him, because the true name indicates the true nature. In our ignorance of the nature of things, we give arbitrary names; but if we have learnt anything of the nature of God, we shall know his true name, and then shall be able to trust in him without fear at all times.
2. God reveals himself as the faithful God to those who earnestly seek him. (Ver. 10.) And to none else. We can never prove the fidelity of any one of whom we have never felt the need. And we never seek earnestly for any one unless he becomes in some way necessary to us. And it is only thus, by experience, we find that God does not forsake those who seek him. Knowledge, faith; and experience are thus connected.
III. GROUNDS OF THE JOYFUL WORSHIP OF GOD.
1. God specially dwells in the Church. (Ver. 11.) The glory between the cherubim was in Zion. He gathers with his people where they gather, and specially manifests himself. "Where two or three are gathered together," etc.
2. It is a high privilege to know and declare to others the Divine work. (Ver. 11.) To be able to expound God's work truly is to help to bring God nearer to men, and so to help to save them.
3. God always remembers the cause of the afflicted. (Ver. 12.) The meaning is - God will not let the murderer go unpunished, but will avenge the relatives of the murdered man, and so relieve and console their sufferings. But he hears the cry of all afflicted ones, whatever the cause of their suffering, and comforts them by his Spirit. - S.
The Lord shall endure forever.
(David Caldwell, A. M.)
And He shall judge the world in righteousness.
LinksPsalm 9:7 NIV
Psalm 9:7 NLT
Psalm 9:7 ESV
Psalm 9:7 NASB
Psalm 9:7 KJV
Psalm 9:7 Bible Apps
Psalm 9:7 Parallel
Psalm 9:7 Biblia Paralela
Psalm 9:7 Chinese Bible
Psalm 9:7 French Bible
Psalm 9:7 German Bible
Psalm 9:7 Commentaries