Rejoice in the LORD, O you righteous: for praise is comely for the upright.…
I. True worship is HAPPINESS to the godly. "Rejoice," etc.
1. It is the highest happiness of intelligent existences. Only by worship can the profoundest cravings of their natures be satisfied, or their powers be fully and harmoniously developed.
2. The godly alone can offer true worship.
II. True worship is BECOMING to the godly. "Comely."
1. It agrees with his character.
2. It is congenial with his spirit.
3. It is in keeping with his obligations.
III. True worship is MUSIC to the godly. "Praise the Lord with harp," etc. Note some of the features of true psalmody.
1. Variety. Both instrumental and vocal music are here mentioned.
2. Freshness. "A new song." Whilst our religion should be as settled as the trunk of the oak — the forms and spirit of our devotion should be as changing as the foliage, now green with spring, now tinted with summer, now tinged with the brown hue of autumn.
3. Accuracy. "Play skilfully." True music is sound ruled by science.
4. Hearty. "With a loud noise."
Parallel VersesKJV: Rejoice in the LORD, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright.