The Congregational Pulpit
And Jesus entered and passed through Jericho.…
I. THE BLESSING OF SALVATION.
1. Zaccheus now had heavenly riches.
2. Zaccheus had now the highest distinction. A Christian.
3. The home of Zaccheus was now sanctified.
II. THE AUTHOR OF SALVATION.
1. Salvation is Christ's alone to give.
2. The guiltiest are sometimes the first to be saved.
(1) This is for our warning. Beware of pride, self-righteousness, assumed morality, ostentation, carnal wisdom, and deep-rooted prejudice. These are the offensive things that make him pass by your door. Remove them quickly, lest you perish a Christless soul!
(2) This visit to the guiltiest is also for our encouragement. Satan has two grand devices, presumption and despair. Avoid the former, and do not be crushed by the latter. This man had been so radically bad, but was saved. Let this sustain and strengthen the deep-stained sinner who cries for mercy.
III. THE MEANS OF SALVATION.
1. Zaccheus used the likeliest means to know more of Christ.
2. He strove through difficulties to obtain the object of his desire.
IV. THE SIGNS OF SALVATION.
(The Congregational Pulpit.)
Parallel VersesKJV: And Jesus entered and passed through Jericho.