Now after the death of Joshua it came to pass, that the children of Israel asked the LORD, saying…
I. THE LIFE. Brief biography. Throned. Successful in war. Cruel. At last a defeated tyrant, Three scenes.
1. Celebrating his victories.
2. Feeding royal captives.
3. The defeated tyrant's unsuccessful flight.
II. THE LESSONS. Note three —
1. To what depths of cruelty it is possible for some to sink themselves. How came Adoni to be such a tyrant?
(1) Possibly, in part, through parental neglect.
(2) Through neglect of self-discipline.
2. Honoured men sometimes fall from palace to prison.
3. "Be not deceived; God is not mocked; for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap."
Parallel VersesKJV: Now after the death of Joshua it came to pass, that the children of Israel asked the LORD, saying, Who shall go up for us against the Canaanites first, to fight against them?