And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell on Abram; and, see, an horror of great darkness fell on him.
Abram's condition here may be looked upon in two aspects.
1. As indicating the chequered experience of the good.
2. As suggesting solemn facts in man's existence.
I. MAN HAS A SOUL.
II. MAN'S SOUL IS IN A FALLEN CONDITION.
III. MAN'S SOUL, THOUGH IN A FALLEN CONDITION, IS STILL ACCESSIBLE TO ITS MAKER. In His communication now to Abram, God must have impressed the patriarch with four things concerning Himself.
1. His infinite intelligence.
2. His righteous control.
3. His special regard for His people.
4. That he, individually, should be taken care of.
Parallel VersesKJV: And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him.