Sketches of Sermons
After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am your shield…
I. THE PERSON ADDRESSED. Abram.
1. A man of genuine faith.
2. Of importunate prayer.
3. Of cordial hospitality.
4. Of uniform obedience.
II. THE ADMONITORY PROHIBITION URGED.
1. There is a fear of persecution.
2. There is a fear of poverty.
3. There is the fear of pain.
III. THE ENCOURAGING ASSURANCE ANNEXED.
1. God defends the persons of His people.
2. He protects their substance.
3. God is the reward of His people.From this subject we learn —
1. The security and safety of God's people. God is their shield; they live in a world of enemies.
2. Their tranquillity and happiness.
3. The fearless confidence with which they should be inspired. What can they fear, while God is their shield and their exceeding great reward? shall they fear tribulation, or distress, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?
(Sketches of Sermons.)
Parallel VersesKJV: After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward.