But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,…
I. THE SINS OF ANANIAS AND SAPPHIRA. No sin stands alone.
1. There was love of praise.
2. There was covetousness, an inordinate love of money. They clung to their gold.
3. There was lying.
4. There was hypocrisy, the pretence of godliness where none existed.
II. THE REVELATION OF GOD'S CHARACTER. Every Divine act is a revelation of God. What does this event show?
1. God's omniscience. He saw the sin, though it was secret.
2. God's impartiality. He deals with His followers no more leniently than with His enemies when they do wrong.
3. God's justice.
4. God's power.
III. THE TEACHINGS CONCERNING THE CHURCH.
1. Its high moral standard. The power of the Church is in its purity. The Church must be better than the world if it is to save the world.
2. Its human imperfection. Let us not expect all the people in the earthly Church to be perfect.
3. Its responsibility. The Church is held to a high account for its members, and must put away every branch which is known to be dead.
Parallel VersesKJV: But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,