For to us a child is born, to us a son is given: and the government shall be on his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful…
I. HE IS THE PEACE BRINGER, as He is the revealer of His Father's peaceful designs towards His sinful creatures.
1. Point out the situation in which man stood in relation to God.
2. The office of Christ as the bringer of peace reminds us how God might have acted in relation to man.
3. But His love prompted Him to a design of rich and sovereign mercy.
4. He has developed this design through the medium of His Son, who, therefore, takes His title from His work — the Prince of Peace.
II. HE IS THE PEACEMAKER; the efficient means of procuring, and establishing peace between God and man.
1. His atonement made reconciliation for the sin of man.
2. By His mediatorial office He secures peace for us individually.
III. HE IS A PRINCELY GIVER OF PEACE.
I. It is a knowledge of His sacrifice which gives peace to the troubled conscience.
2. By Him we receive the grace of the Holy Spirit which gives peace from the power of sin.
3. He brings us into a state of communion with God, so that we enjoy peace.
4. The peace which Jesus gives endures through all troubles and in spite of all enemies.
5. He gives eternal peace and rest in heaven.
IV. THE FOUNDATION AND SUPPORT OF HIS KINGDOM ON EARTH IS PEACE.
1. It Was founded without the intervention of violence or carnal weapons.
2. Its very essence consists in the influence of peaceful doctrines.
3. In the promotion of His kingdom He employs none but peaceable means.
Parallel VersesKJV: For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.